Saturday, August 2, 2008

Police Charge Texan As President's Killer

1963:
John F.Kennedy Killed in Dallas
My Vintage Nashville Newspaper blog will feature images from Nashville Newspapers, beginning in the 1960's.
This is the oldest in my collection of Nashville Tennessee newspapers. The headline reads "Police Charge Texan as Presidents Killer", with a subtitle "Accused Slayer Had Soviet Links".
I was just a small kid when this happened, but remember it. I was sick on this day and didn't attend school. I remember the TV flashing a bulletin stating "President John Kennedy has been shot". I was lucky enough to see John Kennedy not long before this tragic event. He had made a trip to Nashville on my birthday. My father took me to see the Kennedy's motorcade in two different locations that day. We saw him pass by in a convertible, from the side of the road on Murfreesboro Road in Nashville (after arriving from the airport). The second location was in Franklin Road in Nashville (headed for the Governors mansion). It was especially sad for me as a kid, since I had seen him shortly before he got killed.
To this day, this is one of the most tragic days that I can remember.

More Nashville Newspapers and Blogs coming soon. Check out my Nashville Concert Web Site at www.tennesseeconcerts.com with thousands of concert pictures taken in Tennessee. I plan to soon add a "Vintage Nashville Newspaper" section, to include featured vintage newspapers from my Nashville Newspaper collection beginning in 1963-Present. Feel free to comment on these Newspapers and the featured News Events.

A YouTube video of CBS footage announcing
John F. Kennedy's Death on November 23, 1963

No comments: